- 500 gr Ripe tomatoes
- 250 gr Country bread
- 1 Onion
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 1 Liter of vegetable stock
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
1) Chop the onion and garlic and fry them in a pan with 4/5 tablespoons of olive oil.
2) Add the tomatoes, previously peeled in boiling water and sliced, chopped basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes over low heat.
3) Add the bread cut into slices and the broth. Cook over low heat for 40 minutes, until liquid is evaporated.
4) Stir from time to time to reduce the bread in "pap" and to check it does not stick to the bottom.
5) When the liquid is evaporated, the Pappa al Pomodoro is ready! You can serve hot or warm with a dash of olive oil.